Maker/Retailer Biography

Skidmore Art Manufacturers

Dates: Founded 1845

See items in our stock by Skidmore Art Manufacturers

Church plate manufacturers in Coventry. Established as Francis Skidmore & Son, the firm worked to its own designs as well as those of G. Gilbert Scott. It exhibited plate at the Great Exhibition of 1851. In 1861 the firm expanded under Francis Skidmore junior (1816-1896), a member of the Ecclesiological Society from 1863, to include a large base-metal works and changed its name. Its architectural works included the Oxford Museum; Gilbert Scott's screens for Lichfield and Hereford Cathedrals, exhibited in 1862; and metalwork for the Albert Memorial. They also made metalwork for G.E. Street. B.J. Talbert among others worked with the firm from this time as a draughtsman in the design studio. The firm showed at the Paris Exhibition of 1867. It was taken over by a Birmingham company in the twentieth century.

Unable to connect to the database server at this time.