Maker/Retailer Biography

Minton & Co

Dates: 1796-1968

See items in our stock by Minton & Co

Potters. Thomas Minton began to manufacture blue transfer-printed earthenware at Stoke on Trent in 1796. His son Herbert Minton initiated great changes when he took over in 1836, with innovative production methods and a greater range of products: parian, porcelain, majolica and encaustic tiles were all shown at the 1851 Great Exhibition. Herbert Minton's friendship with Pugin led to a continued collaboration supplying tiles for commissions such as the New Palace of Westminster, designs for retail using new techniques and to involvement in the Medieval Court at the 1851 Exhibition. Minton tiles were used in palaces and government buildings all over the world, examples include the Royal Palaces in Berlin, Germany, Belgium and Turkey.  Leon Arnoux, art director from 1849, encouraged the introduction of brightly glazed majolica and 'Henri Deux' ware. When Herbert Minton died in 1858, the remaining partners divided the company: Michael Daintry Hollins managing the encaustic floor tile and mosaic production, under the name Minton, Hollins & Co. and Colin Minton Campbell managing the china ware and decorative tile manufacture, under the name Minton & Co. and employing prominent designers including L M. Solon, J. Moyr-Smith, C. Dresser, H.S. Marks and W. Wise. Campbell and Hollins dissolved their partnership in 1868, but continued to run the companies much as before. Campbell was also instrumental in setting up the short-lived Minton Art Pottery Studio, Kensington Gore, in 1871, with W. S. Coleman as director. Many designers and artists as well as South Kensington students worked for the studio. Robert Minton Taylor, a partner in Minton, Hollins & Co. from 1863 to 1868, set up his own encaustic tile factory in 1869, initially called R. Minton Taylor Brick & Tile Co.; its name was changed in 1875, when Campbell became involved, to Campbell Brick & Tile Co. Minton & Co. introduced an Art Nouveau line at the turn of the century. The firm was represented at all the major international exhibitions and it continued in production in the twentieth century until it was absorbed into the Doulton company in 1968.

Unable to connect to the database server at this time.