Maker/Retailer Biography

Keith & Co

Dates: c. 1824-1929

See items in our stock by Keith & Co

Silversmiths in Britannia Terrace, City Road London. Founded by John James Keith in about 1824, the company operated for more than a century, interrupted between 1868 and 1874 when his son John Keith and his employees were working at Cox & Sons, based in the same street as his London agent Franck Smith & Co. From 1843 Keith & Co. made silver for the Ecclesiological Society under William Butterfield's and, from 1856, G. E. Street's supervision, to designs by them and other architects. From 1867 pressure from the Society - particularly from William Burges, who complained about Keith's quality - to use another maker forced bankruptcy. Keith & Co. were represented at the London exhibitions in 1851 and 1862, and John Keith under Cox & Sons were awarded medals in 1871 for silver designed by Talbert. By the 1870s they were also supplying non-precious metals and church furniture. John James Keith, the son of John Keith, was later a partner of Cox, Son & Buckley.

Unable to connect to the database server at this time.