Designer Biography

John Pollard Seddon

Born: 1827

Died: 1906

See items in our stock by John Pollard Seddon

Born in London into a family of long established cabinet-makers who supplied the furniture for Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace, and brother of the Pre-Raphaelite artist Thomas Seddon, he studied architecture under T. L. Donaldson. During his partnership with John Prichard, who had worked on the plates for Pugin's Gothic Architecture, in Llandafffrom 1852 to 1862, he published a book of Gothic ornament (1852) and became a member of the Medieval Society in 1857. His furniture was featured in the Medieval Court at the 1862 London Exhibition, and examples found their way into Myles Birket Foster's house, The Hill at Witley in Surrey, an early decorating commission for the Morris firm. Seddon was a prolific designer of furniture, for the Seddon firm and for Gillow's; he designed stoneware for C.J. C. Bailey's Fulham Pottery; tiles for Minton, Godwin of Lugwardine and Maw & Co.; church and domestic metalwork for Hart & Son (from 1858) and G. Smith & Sons; and stained glass for S. Belham & Co. He had a succession of partners including E. W. Godwin, H. Crisp and Phene Spiers, and was friends with the Pre-Raphaelites, especially Ford Madox Brown and D. G. Rossetti. C. F. A. Voysey was among his pupils.

Unable to connect to the database server at this time.